(Last Updated: 7/28/2017)

Dead animals fall into two general categories: Wild animals and Domesticated animals.
Wild animals are indigenous or feral animals with no obvious private owner. This includes big game (deer, elk, bear) and small game and rodents (opossum, raccoon, squirrel, birds.)
  • Large road kill: found on state roads, contact the WA State Patrol at 800-283-7808. Found on county roads, contact Kitsap 1 at 360-337-5777. Found on city roads, contact the city's police or public works department.
  • Dead Birds, Bear, Cougar: Report to the WA Department of Fish & Wildlife at 360-902-2936, option 2 or send an email to
  • Dead Marine Mammal: Contact a NOAA marine mammal responder at 1-866-767-6114.
Domesticated animals are those who have owners responsible for their well being. This includes farm animals (cows, horses, goats, pigs, fowl) and companion animals, (cats and dogs.) The Kitsap County Roads Department does not pick up domestic animals. Contact PAWS or the Kitsap Humane Society for assistance identifying the owners.


Salvaging road-killed deer and elk

A rule adopted by the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission allows people to legally salvage deer and elk carcasses in the state. The rule specifically applies to deer and elk killed by motor vehicles. Only elk – not deer – may be salvaged in Clark, Cowlitz, and Wahkiakum counties, because federal laws prohibit handling endangered Columbian white-tailed deer in southwest Washington. Anyone who takes possession of a deer or elk carcass must obtain a free, printable permit from WDFW within 24 hours. The permittee must then keep a hardcopy of the signed and dated salvage permit with the meat until all of the edible parts are consumed. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife does not guarantee that salvaged meat is fit for consumption, and encourages those planning to salvage deer and elk carcasses to review its Wild Game Meat Food Safety information. The new salvage rule also does not authorize trespassing on private property or ignoring highway-safety rules. For more info visit


If a small dead mammal is found on your property and appears to have died of natural causes, use a shovel to place the carcass in doubled plastic bag. Dispose as garbage. Or, contact a wildlife removal service to remove the animal.




Kitsap Humane Society
9167 Dickey Road NW Silverdale, WA  98383
(360) 692-6977 | Website | Map
PAWS of Bainbridge and North Kitsap
4688 Lynwood Center Rd NE Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
206-842-2451 or 888-558-PAWS | Website | Map