(Last Updated: 8/23/2018)

Hazardous Waste. Free Drop-Off Recycling. Mercury is a toxic metal that is hazardous to human and environmental health. Older items like thermometers, thermostats, barometers, and light switches sometimes contain mercury and must be recycled.

How can you tell if your item contain mercury and needs to be recycled? Look for the letters "Hg" (the symbol for mercury) on the item or packaging. If the item is old, however, it may not have the symbol. If you see a silver liquid (quicksilver) in a vial, follow the recycling instructions below.

Information listed here is for HOUSEHOLD ITEMS ONLY. View business, non-profit, and agency information.

Recycle mercury items for free.
  • Fluorescent light bulbs: Drop-off at one of 7 approved recycling sites in Kitsap County and Belfair. Use the LightRecycle WA website below to find a site near you.
  • Fever thermometers, thermostats, barometers, batteries, and "silent" switches:  Drop-off at the Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility. See facility hours at the website below. Package products carefully for transportation.
  • Not sure if it's mercury? If you are unsure whether your item contains mercury, contact Kitsap 1 at 360-337-5777 or
Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
5551 SW Imperial Way Bremerton, WA 98312
360-337-5777 | Website | Map




Mercury is a potent neurotoxin. Washington State law requires that all mercury-containing items be recycled to prevent mercury from entering the environment and threatening human health.