Mercury Switches

(Last Updated: 8/23/2018)

Hazardous Waste. Free Drop-Off Recycling. Some older electrical switches contain mercury, which is hazardous to human and environmental health. Do not put these in the garbage.

Signs you may have a mercury switch:

  • Small amount of silver liquid (mercury) inside a glass vial.
  • Wall switch that doesn't make an audible "click" sound when activated (silent switch).
  • Small tubes with electrical contacts at one end of the tube.
  • "TOP" is stamped on the upper end of the switch, under the cover plate.

Information listed here is for HOUSEHOLD ITEMS ONLY. View business, non-profit, and agency information. 


Recycle
Recycle mercury switches for free. Take to the Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility. See facility hours at the website below. Package products carefully for transportation.
Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
5551 SW Imperial Way Bremerton, WA 98312
360-337-5777 | Website | Map

Reuse

Disposal

Reduce

Rethink
Mercury is a potent neurotoxin. Washington State law requires that all mercury-containing products be recycled to prevent mercury from entering the environment and threatening human health.