Dead Animal

(Last Updated: 8/23/2018)

WILD ANIMALS are indigenous or feral animals with no obvious private owner. This includes big game (deer, elk, bear) and small game and rodents (opossum, raccoon, squirrel, birds.)

  • Large road kill: If found on state roads, contact the WA State Patrol at 800-283-7808. Found on county-maintained roads, contact Kitsap 1 at 360-337-5777. Found on city roads, contact the city's police or public works department.

  • Birds, bear, cougar: Report to the WA Department of Fish & Wildlife at 360-902-2936, option 2 or send an email to

  • Marine mammal: Contact a NOAA marine mammal responder at 1-866-767-6114.

  • Found on private property: Call the Health District's solid waste duty staff at 360.728.2235. They will determine if it is something they can pick up. If they cannot pick it up, they will refer you to a rendering company.

  • Injured wildlife: Contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.


DOMESTICATED ANIMALS are those who have owners responsible for their well-being. This includes farm animals (cows, horses, goats, pigs, fowl) and companion animals, (cats and dogs.)